Wednesday, 21 November 2012
LANAC Conference on Dec 8 - we need national action !
After a year without national strike action - and growing threats to our pensions, pay and conditions, how do teachers now rebuild the action needed to defeat these attacks?
That's the debate that will be taking place at:
LANAC’s Second National Delegate Conference:
Winning on Pensions, Pay and Workload
Saturday December 8th, 11.00 - 15.30
at Leicester Adult Education College, Leicester LE1 6HL
To confirm attendance: Contact Martin Powell-Davies, LANAC Convenor,
E-mail: NUT@lewisham.gov.uk Cheques for £5 Conference fee to ‘LANAC’ and sent to LANAC Conference c/o NUT Office, Town Hall, Catford, London SE6 4RU.
Here is the final agenda:
11-12.15 pm: Opening Plenary: 'Phase One' Action - Successes, Lessons and Challenges
· Introduced by Julie Lyon-Taylor, Chair of LANAC
· Reports from around the regions, including from school reps where schools have won victories by threatening to escalate to strike action
· How can we carry out the Network’s aims – to ‘spread success’ and ‘develop confident organisation in the workplace’ ?
· How widely can the action be built? What are the challenges and the lessons for the Union?
12.15-1.00 pm: Lunch
1.00-2.00 pm: A choice of four workshops
a) Pensions - the latest threats - an update on where we are now with the Pensions Bill, 2013 contribution rates, the prospect of co-ordination with other unions taking action;
b) Pay - what we can expect from Gove? – Gove will soon be announcing news from the ‘Review Body’ - further attacks on pay progression, perhaps pay relegation and regional pay;
c) The threats to union organisation - the growth of academies and attacks on facilities time is opening a debate on how the NUT can best meet those challenges
d) Building rank and file organisation and getting our message out to the wider community – particularly drawing on the lessons of the successful action by Chicago teachers.
2.00-3.15 pm: Closing Plenary - Setting the dates for national strike action to win on pensions, pay and workload
· Introduced by Martin Powell-Davies, LANAC Convenor
· Reports from the workshops – setting out the serious attacks we face
· How can we mobilise across the Union to secure the Network’s aims of ‘an escalating program of national action’ ?
· Can we wait for the NASUWT – or is it now time for the NUT to act without them?
3.15-3.30 pm: Conclusion – building from today, dates for next LANAC Committee/events.