Kevin Courtney, NUT DGS, was the guest speaker, introducing a wide-ranging discussion on how trade unions could build joint action. Some of the action points agreed were that:
- The TUC develops an alternative economic plan to counter the claimed economic necessity for cuts.
- The TUC organises a national demonstration to oppose cuts to public services
- Delegates initiate, either through Trades Councils or individual trade union branches or regional structures as appropriate, joint committees and meetings to prepare opposition to cuts in their local areas.
- We organise - provisionally in October - a further SERTUC Conference to build from the success of our 6 March Conference. It was proposed that this should take place in October.
- As Chair, that I send a message of support to BASSA in support of their ongoing strike action.